The bus ride to the Bay of Islands was great. Well, what I saw of it at least. As you could imagine I slept most of the way. Something about busses I guess, or maybe me thinking I can stay out later the night before because I can sleep extra hours when en route (reason I missed the first bus). It reminded me so much of time spent in Hawaii. Sub-tropical rainforest everywhere, showers dropping warm water from time to time, and lush green everywhere, with the occasional glimpse of beautiful opaque waters with lava rock breaking the surface in random formations. Arriving at 8:00pm in this beautiful town of 1,200 people, I was too late to get the included bbq dinner, so was left to fend for myself. Dinner for me consisted of two apples, top ramen, and a couple of beers. Waking with the sun at 6:45, it was time to get ready for the big day trip to Cape Reinga. The meeting place of the Tasman Sea and the Pacific Ocean. Setting out, our enthusiastic driver, Spike, took us on a full on day of adventure.
Starting out with a nature walk through the Manginangina Kauri Forest, to see the most sacred tree in Moari Culture,
continuing on to 90 mile beach (actually only 64 miles) and is actually considered a road in New Zealand,
then up a stream, which is also considered a road, to some huge sand dunes that we would ride body boards down, in the hopes of not killing ourselves or sustaining major injuries.
After racing down the dunes we continued on to a beautiful bay where we were to have lunch. I, on the other hand, having not been in the water once yet, ran immediately to the beach and jumped in. Bodysurfing for the next 45 minutes straight, rode some amazing shoulder high waves completely by myself.
Drying off quickly I ate a sandwich, an apple, and a bag of chips, before heading back onto the bus for the ride to Cape Reinga. Arriving on this sacred land was very impressive. This is the place where the Moari believe the spirits of the dead leave New Zealand and return to their homeland, a place that is still not known for certain.
Staring out on this 45 minute walk, I began snapping pictures thinking I had found this sacred place, but it was not until I reached the final vantage point that I had realized why this place was so special to the people of this land. Many people on my bus thought it unimpressive, and expected more. I, however, found it very powerful. On one side, the Pacific Ocean, so peaceful and calm. On the other, the Tasman Sea, so violent and turbulent, and in the middle, the melding of the two. Watching the waters join together forming whirlpools, waves, and currents, in a place that otherwise would be calm let me realize why this place was so sacred.
From there we made a quick stop at a tourist shop that sold carving from wood taken from the mighty Kuari trees. There was a couch that was priced at $55,000 US. The most impressive thing in the store was the stairway to the second floor. It was an enormous Kauri tree that had steps carved into the center of it. So you literally had to walk up throught he inside of the tree to reach the second floor.
After not buying anything, just as everyone else on the bus, we headed to a small fishing village to get the best fish and chips I have ever had. The fish was amazingly fresh, moist and flaky, the batter light and not greasy at all, and the chips were thick and delicious. Perfect end to our long day trip. Getting back to the hostel I had a couple beers with some friends I had made, took a shower, and headed out for happy hour with my newfound friends. Later on in the evening I met a couple people who were heading to Rotorura, the geothermal hotspot for New Zealand, in a couple of days and invited me to tag along. So I booked a bus back to Auckland for the following afternoon, and set out to plan the trip to Rotorura for the following day. Waking up early for check out, a group of us headed down to the beach to hang out till our bus left at three.
Sitting on the beach, with a group of six or seven of us, I quickly found out why they say the sun is stronger in New Zealand than the rest of the world. Laying on the beach, taking in the beauty of the islands dotting the bay, the beautiful clear blue water, and pillow-like white clouds in the sky its no wonder that I forgot to apply sunscreen on my stomach. Two hours later I grabbed a burger and boarded the bus for Auckland. About half way there I noticed my stomach felt hot and skin very tight. Upon investigation at our first toilet stop I pulled up my shirt to see the absolute worst sunburn I have ever had in my life. Arrived in Auckland a couple hour later, in pain, met up with Caroline from France, and confirmed our plans for Rotorura. Roundtrip bus fare and accommodation $85 NZ . Cheapest trip I have book thus far. Had the free meal at the hostel and then over to The Globe Bar for a drink before heading to bed. Walking in to the Globe Bar I noticed a group of backpackers dressed in the linens from their beds for the evenings festivities, a toga party complete with bar Olympics. The MC noticed I had a stop watch so I became the official timer for the events. Once again, some of the most unsafe contests I have ever seen attempted in a bar.
They consisted of teams of two. The first of the team had to eat a Weet-Bix bar, which, from what I could tell, was the most dry granola type bar I have ever seen, and then pull their partner, who was sitting in a office chair, by a sheet that was wrapped around their body, through a slalom of posts. Whichever team completed the course in the fastest time won. From there it was on to a tug of war. The rope however, was a few sheets taped and tied together. The “rope” broke three times, throwing the participants to the floor in a pile of drunken bodies and dirty hostel sheet, before successfully executing the tug of war. I again was very surprised that no one was injured. After the “Olympics” it was back to the hostel to prepare for the trip the next day.
The descriptions and pictures here are wonderful. You really do have a gift for bringing people into your story.
ReplyDelete