Welcome to my blog, and the story of my life and travels over the past couple years. Thanks for stopping by and taking an interest in the amazing things that I have been fortunate enough to experience. I hope the stories I have shared not only put a smile on your face, but also allow us to stay connected as I continue this journey, and...The Slow Road Home. Please feel free to leave comments about the entries or the blog in general to help me know what you like and what is interesting. It is a pleasure for me to write and I want it to be just as interesting and exciting for you to read. Thanks.
Enjoy,
Nick

2.14.2010

Rotorura, The Geothermal Wonderland: Hello Sweet Sulfur.

1/28/10 It rained most of the way to Rotorura, but cleared as we arrived. Too late in the day to really do too much we decided to get something to eat and walk down to the lake.



Relaxing there for a little while and admiring the highly aggressive black swans we discussed our plans for the evening. Rotorura is home to some of the largest Moari populations in New Zealand, and therefore has a lot of cultural shows to choose from. We chose the Te Po show which included a traditional Maori evening, food, and a walk through the village to one of the two active geysers in the southern hemisphere. The three hour event was spectacular. Beginning with a traditional peace offering from the warrior of the tribe,


a welcoming into the Marae (Maori meeting house), followed by an hour and a half of song, dance, and Haka, the dance performed before entering into battle. This was spectacular. Women spinning poi as they sung in the Moari tongue,


men displaying the weapons of the tribe, and finishing with the intimidating Haka.



After the show it was over to the dining area for the best meal I have had yet. Buffet consisting of raw oyster, mixed salad, corn salad, pasta salad, marinated shrimp and crab salad, marinated mussels, and choice of sweet potato soup or seafood chowder. After the salads came the entrees, Stuffed chicken, pork, lamb, eel, mussels, potatoes, and corn, all of which had been prepared underground on hot rocks and steamed to perfection. Absolutely delicious, especially after having been living off of ramen, apples, ham sandwiches, the occasional pasta, and of course a few Fergburgers. I took down two full plates from the buffet and then piled high the entrees. I had to explain to the rest of my table what I had been eating for the last months, and they quickly understood the ravenous manner in which I was devouring this wonderful meal. After entrees it was on to the dessert buffet… ice cream, raspberry sauce, mousse, chocolate cake, cream puffs, and coffee. Fat and happy, we headed out for a much needed walk through the valley,


eventually arriving at the geysers. When we approached they were spurting a few feet in the air, but within fifteen minutes they were shooting streams of hot water twenty to thirty feet in the air. The timing could not have been better. Sun setting for thirty minute water display.





As the geysers fell back to sleep more rain clouds appeared, but no worries, it was time to head back to the hostel. Mellow night at the hostel, a glass of wine and bed. Laying in bed, waiting for sleep to set in, I pondered the things I had learned about the Moari culture that evening. It is so sad that people who held the land so sacred, treated it with such respect, and found uses for everything in it, had not only the land taken from them, but their very culture stripped away as well. It was a very powerful evening and well worth the 5 hour bus ride! Back in Auckland for my last night in New Zealand, I kept it mellow. Had dinner, played around on the computer for a while, and packed my bags in preparation for my trip to Australia. Which brings me to now. Sitting on yet another bus, on my way to my friend Jo’s house just outside of Melbourne. I am really looking forward to the next few days. Hopefully some surf, a visit to the Australian Open, and then off to Tasmania for four days with Jo and her friend from the states. For now, I sleep again. I love busses!

No comments:

Post a Comment