2/16/10
Sunday morning Jo made us breakfast, I packed my things, and we headed out for a drive along The Great Ocean Road. Starting just out front of Jo’s house our first photo op was Winkipop surf break and the world famous Bell’s Beach.
There was some surf that day as well. First I had really seen so far. Looked about head high, but not lined up very well. Jo said the swell direction was a little off and described how wioth the right swell it breaks completely across the bay. From there we headed down the road stopping here and there to take advantage of the beautiful coastline. We stopped off at a golf course that is famous for having heaps of kangaroos. We saw none. Jo said it was probably too hot that day, I think they’re just a myth, as I have yet to see one. Continuing on we reached a really cool little town, Lorne.
The surf here was smaller but had some really good shape, and there were a handful of people out catching the little rippers. From there we pulled off on a little side road and went searching for Koalas. I was certain we would not see any since I had yet to find a kangaroo, but thankfully I couldn't have been more wrong. Not more than two minutes into the drive we found our first Koala. a huge one, sitting in a tree just feet from the road.
Continuing on for about thirty minutes or so we counted at least twenty more of the cute little guys nestled in the forks of the branches above us. After we had our fill of koalas, we were back on The Great Ocean Road and our final destination, Apollo Bay.
Beautiful. Here we grabbed bite to eat and got the map out to see if there was a quicker way to get Frankston, where we were having dinner with some more of Jo’s friends, Trudy and Dave. Seeing as how we were already running behind schedule we had to rush. My ability to nap while in moving vehicles hit an all time high on the ride to Frankston. I was not aware but Jo and Theresa had made a bet about how long it would take me to fall asleep. Jo taking fifteen minutes and Theresa thirty. I guess I won as I was fast asleep in the back seat in seven minutes. Reaching the house we were again greeted with giant smiles and warmth. Immediately Dave offering a big handshake and a beer. Once inside Trudy offering a hug and a kiss and a tour of their wonderful home. After some snacks and pre dinner cocktail around the kitchen dinner was on. Truly a feast. While outside with Dave preparing prawns and barramundi on the grill with tomato and basil salsa, Trudy and the girls were fast at work inside preparing a delicious chicken breast stuffed with boccancinni and semi dried tomatoes, satay salad, and regular salad with fruit and berries. There weather was absolutely perfect to enjoy the dinner outside, so we set the table in the pool house and began eating. Dave opening a delicious special chardonnay, I poured it, and cheers. We were on our way to a fantastic culinary experience. Once we had finished our meals we sat and talked for sometime, before Trudy disappeared only to return with a giant platter with different cheeses, fruits, chocolates, crackers, and grapes. To wash all of this down was a delicious homemade pear liqueur. I can’t tell you what time we began eating all I do know is that it was 2:00am by the time we all decided to go to bed. Those of you who think like me and agree that life is all about great food, excellent wine, and even better company should have been part of this experience. The perfect way for me to spend my last night on this chapter of my journey, as I was leaving Melbourne for Cairns the following day. Before heading to the airport there was one very important stop. Seeing that it was Superbowl Monday in Oz Jo arranged for us to watch the game live at a friends house. It was a very strange feeling for me to watch the game over here. It gave me a little piece of home, but definitely made me think of all the things that come with watching the superbowl at home, that I did not have. Either way I enjoyed and appreciated the opportunity to watch a great game! After that it was off to the airport. With mixed emotions we sat and waited for my boarding call. Sad that I was leaving behind someone I had became such great friends with, but at the same time excited for the next part of my journey that was ahead of me. So onto the plane it was, ipod in, and a little time to relax as I flew from Melbourne to Sydney and Sydney to Cairns. Arriving in Cairns I watched as the last of the bags came out of the baggage claim carousel, and realized that mine was not one of them. I walked over to the baggage desk and was told that my bag never made it out of Melbourne. So, even though I have been good for sometime now on not missing a plane, bus, train, or ferry, somehow my bag decided to take a nap before getting on the plane and missed it. However Quantas was great, giving me clothes to sleep in, not that I needed them in the ridiculous heat and humidity in cairns, a toiletry bag, and sixty dollars for anything I might need to buy. Fortunately the only thing I needed was board shorts to take to The Great Barrier Reef the following morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment