Welcome to my blog, and the story of my life and travels over the past couple years. Thanks for stopping by and taking an interest in the amazing things that I have been fortunate enough to experience. I hope the stories I have shared not only put a smile on your face, but also allow us to stay connected as I continue this journey, and...The Slow Road Home. Please feel free to leave comments about the entries or the blog in general to help me know what you like and what is interesting. It is a pleasure for me to write and I want it to be just as interesting and exciting for you to read. Thanks.
Enjoy,
Nick

11.09.2010

Nice is Nice

The train ride from The Cinque Terre was stunning. The train hugs the coast as it passes through the Italian Riviera and into the French Riviera, passing Monte Carlo and all the mega yachts, before actually arriving in Nice. The hostel could not have been easier to get to as they had a transfer from the train station that ran every 15 minutes, instantly making me like this city. Once at the hostel I could tell why it had been rated “top ten hostels in Europe” for six years in a row. The hostel is in what was once a monastery. The chapel has been transformed into a giant bar, there was a huge garden area to relax and meet people, as well as over twenty computers, and a large and comfortable lounge/common area. I showered and got some laundry done before making my way to the bar for a mellow night and to meet people. As I was ordering a beer a noticed an Aussie guy that I had seen in Riomaggiore and again on the beach in Monterossa, but had not met and decided to strike up a conversation with him, as he was travelling on his own as well. Luke was an extremely outgoing person who literally would talk to anyone, and about anything, so to say we had an interesting night would be an understatement. Also, being Aussie he had quite the relationship with alcohol which added to the fun of the night as well. After a pizza in the Chapel we took advantage of the dollar beers and took turns buying rounds. At one point I was what they call in Australia, tripled parked. Meaning I was drinking a beer, Luke showed up with another, then another guy had bought us a round as well. So there I was with my three beers and already having a buzz, knew that I didn’t need them, but also knew this Aussie wasn’t going to let me not drink them. So somehow my mellow night turned into quite the big night which in turn became quite the hangover. That wasn’t too bad of a thing though as I had nothing planned for the next day but to hang on the beach anyway, now it just meant that I was going to be “hung” on the beach as well. After a full day down at the beach I headed to the store to get some lunch meats and bread and made my way back to the hostel. That night I truly did have a mellow night, just a couple recovery beers with Luke, some awesome conversations with some others and in bed before midnight. Up early in the morning I took advantage of the included breakfast, the same breakfast I missed the day before due to the amount of dollar beers I consumed and the aforementioned hangover. I again made my way to the beach and as I was setting up my towel noticed that the group of people next to me were also staying at the hostel. Before I knew it we were deep in conversation and they invited me to pull up closer to them and spend the day together. Sam, Leah, and Sara were fantastic. So that was my day on the beach with Sara, a super down to earth and awesome Canadian girl, Leah, the crazy and aloof English girl, and Sam, the classic funny and crazy Aussie guy. We sat for hours trading travel stories and laughing a lot which was simply awesome. Heading back to the hostel we decided to stop and get some wine to bring back with us. After showers and some food we sat in the garden, had a few drinks and continued to get to know each other. As the garden area closes at ten we were forced to move inside which put us at a table near the bar, which obviously means we needed to play drinking games.

Shortly after the first round of kings, and not related to the game in any way, Leah out of nowhere suggested that we exchange clothes. Somehow, after a round of kings that sounded like a great idea to me, so we walked back into the bar with me wearing her dress and her with my sweater and shorts on. I quickly realized that she may not have been as aloof as I thought when I realized that she was now warm in my sweater and I was freezing my balls of, literally, in this tiny little dress. Being good sports, after quite the laugh Sam and Sara decided to swap as well.

Some others that were sitting near us asked if they could join in for the second round, and suddenly our group of four had turned into nine as we noisily closed the bar down.


Sara and I had hit it off a bit and she didn’t have plans on where she was going the following day, so I suggested she come with me to Barcelona. After a couple of rounds of kings it sounded like a great idea to her, so she agreed. I had a sneaky feeling she was going to back out in the morning, but to my surprise she was all ready to go. Unfortunately as we made our way to the station we found out that Spain was not ready for us. The Spanish were on strike and we could only go as far as Marseille for now. We said what the hell, booked a hotel, and hopped on the train to Marseille.

No comments:

Post a Comment