Welcome to my blog, and the story of my life and travels over the past couple years. Thanks for stopping by and taking an interest in the amazing things that I have been fortunate enough to experience. I hope the stories I have shared not only put a smile on your face, but also allow us to stay connected as I continue this journey, and...The Slow Road Home. Please feel free to leave comments about the entries or the blog in general to help me know what you like and what is interesting. It is a pleasure for me to write and I want it to be just as interesting and exciting for you to read. Thanks.
Enjoy,
Nick

3.31.2010

St. Patrick’s day In Dublin: A Real Punch in the Head





3/29/10
I woke up around 8:30 the morning of St Patrick’s day with one of the worst headaches of my life. It felt as though my brain was about twelve times larger than my skull, or better yet, as if someone had just punched me in the head. I took two advil and went back to sleep. Elizabeth, sleeping a few bunks away, was not feeling any better and did the same. I woke up again around 11:00am and though my headache was gone, I was still quite hungover. We decided to head down by the river in search of breakfast. After taking down a plate of sausages, bacon, eggs, and toast washed down with OJ, coffee, and loads of water, I was now ready for my day. We headed up to a local pub to meet Kristin and have a pint. Another pint later we headed back to the river and found a three story pub that had live music and was jam packed with people. Hanging here for one more pint, we decided to head back to our hostels to take a nap before going out for the evening. Walking back into our room Elizabeth and I couldn’t help but laugh as the other ten people in our room apparently already had the same idea. So joining the rest of them we too slipped off into some much needed rest. Waking up around eight I headed out to find something to eat before we ventured back out for the night. Standing on the sidewalk enjoying my burger I took notice of all the signs of a drinking holiday. Across the street was a guy stumbling around trying to figure out how to get his pants buttoned back up after urinating on the side of a wall. To his left by about twenty feet was a couple in a screaming argument, girl balling her eyes out and guy trying to keep himself upright. To his left by only ten feet was a group of guys laughing hysterically as they took pictures of him and offered him a pull off their bottle of Jamesons. On the corner maybe thirty feet to my right was a girl crying on the phone either to her boyfriend or girlfriends about something that I’m sure didn’t really matter. And approaching on my left was a guy who was clearly arguing with one of his buddies who was making a futile attempt to calm him down, and a third friend stumbling quietly behind them. I could see the angry one was clearly hammered and beyond upset so I decided it would be in my best interest to not pay attention, look straight ahead, and mind my own business. As I leaned forward to take another bite of my burger it happened. All I remember was a crack against my head, a ringing in my ears, and a slight graying to my vision as I was thrown to my right. I just got punched in the head! As I turned back to the direction of the punch all I saw was the friend who was quietly walking behind the other two standing there as if, like me, he was trying to make sense of what just happened. I then looked to my right to see that the asshole who hit me was already at the corner standing next to the girl crying on the phone. Not talking to her I might add. I stood there for a moment trying to make sense of what just happened and trying to decide what I was going to do about it, before running over to the corner, throwing my burger in his face in some attempt to blind him before hitting him square on the chin. A blow that dropped his drunk ass to the floor as I mounted him and got in three or four more good punches before his buddies pulled me off of him. He laid there moaning with his face covered in blood, some mine, some his, while his friends stood there, I assume deciding whether to kick my ass or help him up. They quickly helped him up and ran off around the corner. Okay, at least that’s what happened in my head. In reality, I looked to the corner and saw them still arguing as if nothing had happened, looked down and saw my burger was not only still in my hand but was still intact as well. I decided to take another bite. After finishing my burger I headed back to the hostel where I was to meet Kristin. As I passed the pub next to the hostel, an Irish couple stopped me and asked how I was enjoying Ireland, to which I replied, “It’s great aside from just getting punched in the head by some random Irish guy!” They were appalled. They asked what happened, I told them, and they began apologizing on behalf of the entire country. I told them it was okay, I don’t judge a country on the actions of one asshole, and that everything else had so far been amazing. They weren’t having it though. Explaining that that is not how Ireland or the Irish are and then insisted on bringing me into the pub to meet their friends and to buy me a pint. With my head hurting, my neck sore, and a fist sized knot developing on the side of my head I agreed to let them buy me a pint, mostly in fear they might punch me if I resisted. Kidding. We went in and true to their word they bought me a pint and continued to apologize until I had drank the last sip. As I left they wished me safe travels and hoped that I would forget the incident and fall in love with the country they were so proud to be a part of. Fortunately, things only got better from here. Kristin showed up only a few minutes later, and Elizabeth joined us as we set out in search of a good bar to celebrate the holiday. We decided on Legend’s Restaurant and Bar which had live music and was packed as well. Once here, I took a shot to help my head and we all enjoyed a few beers and the live music. We made friends with locals, sang along to the music, and had a great night. After some time here we headed back to the bar next to the hostel for last beer before calling it a night. All said and done, it was a great day. As for getting punched in the head in Dublin on St Patty’s Day, well, I couldn’t make up a better story if I tried.

No comments:

Post a Comment