Welcome to my blog, and the story of my life and travels over the past couple years. Thanks for stopping by and taking an interest in the amazing things that I have been fortunate enough to experience. I hope the stories I have shared not only put a smile on your face, but also allow us to stay connected as I continue this journey, and...The Slow Road Home. Please feel free to leave comments about the entries or the blog in general to help me know what you like and what is interesting. It is a pleasure for me to write and I want it to be just as interesting and exciting for you to read. Thanks.
Enjoy,
Nick

2.25.2010

“You’re Going To Airle Tomorrow? We’re Going to Airlie Tomorrow! Come With Us!”

2/19/10
With the help of a few locals, my night took me to The Woolshed, which turned out to be the best possible place to end up. Upon walking in I was asked if I would be interested in purchasing a drink voucher for ten dollars that entitled me to five drinks. Naturally I said yes. After heading to the bar and claiming my first beer I noticed a large crowd gathered by the dance floor and an MC announcing that they were about to begin the “famous” goldfish races. Gathering participants from ten different countries they began dropping goldfish into a long plastic tray filled with water to which the contestants had to blow though a straw to encourage their fish to finish first. Brilliant. After the games were over, I claimed my second drink. Standing near the bar two drop dead gorgeous girls came and stood next to me wearing leis. I asked what the leis were for and they let told me they didn’t know, they were just given them when they came in. We continued talking, going through the routine of normal backpacker questions, where are you from, how long have you been travelling, where are you heading next, etc… As I told them I was heading to Airlie Beach the following morning on a bus they excitedly responded, “You’re going to Airlie tomorrow? We’re going to Airlie tomorrow! Come with us! As we worked out the details of where to meet and how much money they would need for me to chip in on the car they had hired, we realized we didn’t even know each other’s names. So there it was. I was cancelling my bus and heading to Airlie Beach in a car with Heidi and Pipsa from Finland. Fortuitous. I claimed my remaining drinks, walked the girls to their hostel, and headed to my hostel to pack my bags for the ride to Airlie.

No comments:

Post a Comment