Welcome to my blog, and the story of my life and travels over the past couple years. Thanks for stopping by and taking an interest in the amazing things that I have been fortunate enough to experience. I hope the stories I have shared not only put a smile on your face, but also allow us to stay connected as I continue this journey, and...The Slow Road Home. Please feel free to leave comments about the entries or the blog in general to help me know what you like and what is interesting. It is a pleasure for me to write and I want it to be just as interesting and exciting for you to read. Thanks.
Enjoy,
Nick

4.24.2010

In Bruges

Unfortunately I reached Bruges and the last thing I wanted was a beer. Fortunately there is a lot of history and beautiful things to see in Bruges that don’t involve alcohol. I began with a trip to the main square and sat on a bench to enjoy the view, people watch, and eat some delicious (not healthy, but great for a hangover) Flemish Fries. If fresh fries smothered in stewed beef and gravy don’t sound delicious to you, you need to get your head as well as your taste buds checked! Belly full and feeling much better I walked along the canals and wandered the streets of this, one of the most well preserved medieval cities in Western Europe. The old city with its gothic buildings, horse drawn carriages, cathedral, and famed Belfort, instantly transport you into the long lost past.




Back at the hostel I had met a young kid, just eighteen, who was also out traveling on his own for the next six months. He was full of questions and I was happy to spend some time answering them. We shot a few games of pool before I headed up to my room to try and catch up on some sleep. In bed by eleven, I slept straight through till eleven. I woke feeling refreshed and think Amsterdam worked its way out of my system in the twelve hours I had slept. First on my list for the day, find waffles and eat them.

I again headed to the main square found a café and ordered the most delicious chocolate and banana waffles I had ever had. From the café I walked the 366 steps to the top of the Belfort Tower (that was not built for the movie In Bruges)


went to the cathedral that contains a vile of the coagulated blood of Christ,


and after laying my hands on that and saying a quick prayer, finally made my way to a local pub to try a few Belgium beers. I’ll just say, they do, without a doubt have some of the best beers in the world. Back to the main square I tried the Flemish Fries from the cart parked directly next to the one I had previously ordered Flemish Fries from to see which was better. These were just as good. Back at the hostel I met three Americans and had a couple more Belgium beers over a few games of pool before heading up to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment