We had not planned on staying in Doolin, but given its close proximity to the Cliffs of Moher and the fact the sun was about to go down we decided to spend the night here. We were pleasantly surprised with how much character this little town had. A very small town, with a population of 200, situated right on the water, and to my surprise with two world class surf breaks.
As we pulled into town I noticed the wind was blowing stiffly offshore, and the surf was pumping. Unfortunately the sun was just about to fall below the horizon so I couldn’t surf now, but I was determined to jump in the forty five degree water in the morning. We headed directly to our hostel and were immediately greeted by the husband and wife that ran it. This was one of my favorite hostels to date. The couple really made us feel as though we were staying at their house and quickly gave us the feeling as though we were part of the family. We headed out for some dinner and a pint before making our way back home for a good sleep. The cozy hostel was actually so comfortable that we both slept straight through till eleven o’clock the next morning. At first I was disappointed that I may have missed out on a surf, but when I looked outside I saw the winds had turned around and were now blowing 20 miles per hour on shore and had completely ruined the surf. We decided to make another peanut butter and jelly sandwich and head for the famed Cliffs of Moher. As some of you know, one of my favorite movies of all time, narrowly missing my top five, is The Princess Bride. Therefore I kept referring to the Cliffs of Moher as the cliffs of insanity, so you could imagine my excitement when I found out that this stretch of coastline is actually the spot where they filmed the movie! Walking along the cliffs here was nothing short of breathtaking.
The sheer cliffs drop 200meters to the sea where they are pounded by the surf of the wild Atlantic Ocean. After completing the walk along the cliffs we were back in the car and heading to the lively and cultural city of Galway.
No comments:
Post a Comment