4/3/10
If Belfast is Dullfast then I would have to say that Glasgow is Glaswow. Immediately upon arriving the wonderful nature of the Scottish people became apparent to me. Every person I came into contact with was cheerful and eager to help. Making it to my hostel in just a few minutes, I checked and was made to feel at home once again. This hostel, a true backpackers spot, was small and very comfortable. I instantly made friends with a few Canadians, Marcos from Spain, a German girl, and Jenn from Australia. Deciding to head out on my own to grab some food I went for a lengthy stroll about the city. As I was walking I felt an instant calm come over me and a feeling of comfort as the positive energy of the city filled me. I can’t say exactly what it was about this city that I loved so much, but love it I did. Maybe it was the young and energetic vibe created by the many university students wandering the streets, the way the locals always smiled and offered a “heya” as they passed me in the streets, or simply the buzz that was created by a large city that somehow still had a small town feel. As I said, whatever it was, I immediately took a liking to it and looked forward to what else Scotland had in store for me. After finding a nice pub to grab some food and a pint I headed back to the hostel and relaxed in the common area. One by one the others came back from their own adventures around the city and joined me in the common room. Within minutes we were talking about the adventures of our travels, different things we had seen, and shared in the excitement of the things that were still yet to be discovered. The time absolutely flew by. Having all sat by around 8pm, suddenly it was two am and time for bed. We met again in the kitchen for breakfast in the morning and headed off in our own directions. One of the things I have most enjoyed about traveling has been the amount of people I have met, and how open they all are to share some time, share some stories, learn about new thing and places, and happy wish you well when the time comes to part. There is no pretense, no judging, and almost never any negativity. Everyone has the same openness, the same excitement, and the same goal of meeting great people, having a great time, and the same desire to extract the most out of everyone and every place they come into contact with. It’s amazing how many times I have sat in a room with different people from all over the world, and because we are in the same place, seeking the same things, and seeing the world truly with open eyes, that we are able to see how similar we all are and how easy it is to get along. This was especially true in Glasgow.
4.05.2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment