Welcome to my blog, and the story of my life and travels over the past couple years. Thanks for stopping by and taking an interest in the amazing things that I have been fortunate enough to experience. I hope the stories I have shared not only put a smile on your face, but also allow us to stay connected as I continue this journey, and...The Slow Road Home. Please feel free to leave comments about the entries or the blog in general to help me know what you like and what is interesting. It is a pleasure for me to write and I want it to be just as interesting and exciting for you to read. Thanks.
Enjoy,
Nick

3.14.2010

My Last Day in Dahab, and My Birthday Eve

3/11/10

Waking up at nearly seven the next morning I decided that I would go back to sleep as I had nothing planned for this, my last day in Dahab and my birthday eve. I drifted back to sleep not to open my eyes again until eleven o’clock. How nice it was to finally sleep in and have nothing to do for the rest of the day. I went and grabbed some lunch, again the roasted chicken, went for a walk down the promenade, sat by the pool for a bit at Jennie and Jo’s hotel, before walking back to the Mummy for one last afternoon session of seaside daydreaming. After sometime here, I returned to my room for yet another nap. Oh how I love napping! That night it was back to the restaurant for dinner. For the last time I kicked of my sandals, found a comfortable spot near the fire, pulled up a cushion, and ordered myself a beer and a beautiful piece of fresh fish. Knowing that it was my last night, and that the following day was my birthday, a few of the workers from the restaurant stopped by my table to say goodbye and happy birthday. Jennie stopped by as well for a glass of wine, before I headed back to my room to see if I had any midnight messages, which I was happy to see I did. Actually, I had a few since it became the fifth in Australia before Egypt. I was also happy to see a few messages from home, as well as a couple of phone calls (thanks dad, gina, and em)! After talking on the phone for a bit and responding to a few messages, I had to celebrate, for it was now officially my birthday. And so it was, a very small affair, a couple of people, a few glasses of wine, and a most enjoyable couple of hours before I had to drift off to sleep. Unfortunately, unlike the previous morning, I had to be up at 4:00am to catch my ride to the airport for my early morning flight. Tired, and feeling sad about leaving, I climbed into my taxi, and began the hour long drive to the airport. Sitting there with my window down, the clean, crisp air blowing against my face, I watched the sun rise over the mountains of the Sinai Desert. I reflected on the wonderful people I had met, the paradise I had found, the peacefulness I enjoyed on the shores of the Red Sea, and prepared myself to be thrown back into the chaos of Cairo. Reaching the airport at just after five, I passed through security, and enjoyed a coffee and a pastry while I waited for my seven o’clock flight to depart.

No comments:

Post a Comment