

After they sorted all of their tickets for the ferries, busses, and trains, we headed back to the house to relax and play cards for a bit. Cristian was going to come to dinner with us, but was unable to make it so he stopped by to play card as well and to say goodbye to the guys.

That night we went to Bar Campo for a pizza with Carmela, Francesco, and Gianni. We relaxed over a couple of beers while Ant and Pac told everyone how much fun they had and how much they loved Ischia. It was great to have had them here, and I was for sure going to miss them being around the house.

Our night was not yet over though. Francesco offered to take us for a drive to Ischia Ponte for a drink, and we ran into a couple of friends at a little sidewalk restaurant, so we joined them for one last beer before calling it a night. In the morning Gianni drove us to the port to drop the boys off and then he and I went to his office to do some “work” before heading to Gianni’s mom’s house for lunch. I use the word work very lightly here. Work for Gianni consists of getting to the office, well, when he gets there, having a coffee and a cigarette, walking around to say hi to everyone and make sure they are working. Then he sits in the office and goes over everyone’s work from yesterday and what they should be doing for the day, makes a few phone calls to make sure the travel companies are paying for his bus services, reads the newspaper, and then seemingly out of nowhere, at some point says, “Ok! Let’s go!” At which point, we go. It was great to be back at his mom’s house. She gave me a giant hug and kiss as soon as I walked in the door, told me I looked the same as I did seven years ago, and I told she did as well. His sister was there as well, and was also just as happy to see me, as I was to see her. Last time I was here she had a two year old son, Antony, and this time had a new one year old son, Michele. We talked for a bit in the kitchen before gathering around the table for a delicious meal prepared with love by Mama Maria. As always, she made my plate bigger than everyone else’s and would not let me leave without taking seconds on each course. After lunch we talked some more about my travels and my plans after Ischia, and told me I was welcome to eat with the family whenever I wanted. As she said, ‘Lunch is always at one and dinner is at nine. There is always a spot for you at our table.” All I could think was how nice it was to have only been here a week and already have a solid group of friends and a family that was happy to make me feel like it was my own. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel lucky for all of this. That night I went down to Il Triangolo for a what they call “Il Aperitivo”. Every Thursday night they have a DJ or live music and everyone from around the town comes down to have a drink and be seen. After the Aperitivo Carmela and I made a drive to another local bar for a drink and to catch up before returning home. One week down and hopefully seven more to go!
No comments:
Post a Comment